Amber turned 7 today. She had a great day. Kate had a frustrating day; the normal, "sibling gets awesome new toys for her birthday and doesn't want me to break them in" reaction. Poor kid. Amber wanted bat wings to go with her Halloween costume. I refused to buy them earlier, because we're going to San Diego for Halloween and I'm not lugging wings through an airport or around the San Diego Zoo. Amber's getting smart. The wings were at the top of her birthday wish list. Amber wears her kitty-ballerina costume at least two times a week, so she got her wish. Kate made a really cute picture treasure hunt for Amber's new bat wings and spent the whole day wishing it was time for her to come home from school. I was impressed with Kate's critial thinking skills. She hid all her clues in all the right places. (I always seem to get one clue in the wrong place).I'm exhausted. I feel like birthday preparations have consumed my week. Finding all the right gifts, making and delivering party invitations, planning party games and finding party favorts, making goodie bags to share with her dance class, wrapping gifts, etc. I still almost ruined her birthday! Last night I remembered she was supposed to have an "all about me" poster for school and I'd forgotten about treats for her class. It was a late night. I worried today that after all I'd done she'd be disappointed with something. She wasn't. It was a great day. (Minus my brief lapse in sanity after today's piano lessons. My baby-sitter no-showed).
My moral of todays story: Spend more time & energy in enjoying the moments than in trying to make the moments. But really, how much can you simplify a birthday before you're just the lamo-o mom?
6 comments:
I always feel out of breath too after a birthday. You did good. Those wings are sweet.
I'm starting to want to be a little lame-o though. Rainer turns 8 in December and I'm thinking with the holidays and the baptism I just want him to invite one friend to a lame-o birthday party. I could handle that. Then the guilt kicks in...
birthdays...sigh :)
Wow, you make my life seem a little less complicated--but only a little. I love the wings! I want a pair too. They just wouldn't look as cute on me.
What a cute blog! I am waiting for dinner to get ready, so I thought I'd take a peek now! :) What a cute family you are... I think you pulled off a marvelous party (according to my girls)and all those pics are so cute! I'm glad we can blog each other now- those bows are to DIE for! Can't wait to learn how to make them! If you do the invites, why don't we do it out here at the gym? IS that okay? Anyway, I invited you into mine...You did a great job today!!!
I like what you said:
"Spend more time & energy in enjoying the moments than in trying to make the moments"
Believe me, I've done the "exhausting amazing birthday" so I know what your talking about. I love imagining my kids 20 years from now as they think back on their childhood and that 'big special event' that was all just for them. IMO it's when you start feeling like it's the event's birthday instead of your kid's that you know that it's too much.
I think that we CAN achieve that same goal in a simplified way. One example, my oldest's favorite b-day party memory was a year that I was overwhelmed w/to-do's(thus no planning or organized party). The day of we decided to throw an impromptu surprise party, called 5-6 friends (no gifts please) and hid them all in a closet where they jumped out to shout surprise! We had a few balloons and a cake but he never missed all the other stuff. If I remember right the kids all just went out in the back yard and played, we had cake and took them home. Still got the memory!
She looked very cute and you are far from a lamo mom. You do great things with your girls and they will always remember that.
by the way have an awesome trip for halloween. We all wish we could join you.
Post a Comment