Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fire drills & window screens

We had an emergency preparedness family home evening last night. We talked about where we would meet if we had to evacuate our home, who to call in case of emergency, how to call 911, etc. We topped the lesson off with a real fire drill. After weighing the pros & cons we taught our kids how to take the screen out of a window and practiced climbing out of two of them.

This afternoon Kate was struggling to open our front door to go outside. It's pretty hard to open. She quickly turned from the front door and said, "I'll just go out this way," and proceeded to take the screen out of the nearest window. I quickly made a rule that we only go out the windows in emergencies.

While retelling the story to Rich tonight he asked, "Did you tell her the other one (which we put a window air-conditioner in during the summer) doesn't have a screen at all?" Does he think I'm crazy?!

1 comment:

Kaerlig said...

I can see it now...teenagers, windows.

But at least they'll be okay in a real emergency right?