Monday, April 27, 2009

Amber's 1st recital

Amber played in her first recital on Friday. She did great! She returned to her seat grinning & said to me, in her funny spanish accent voice, "zero mistakes!". I love that she loves piano.

Kate wanted to perform too, but the only song she really knows is one of the pieces Amber played. Kate has been begging for piano lessons. She's really not old enough, but I just started her last week in a method written for preschoolers.

Jessica. Oh, Jessica. She's become quite precocious. Every time someone plays a piano she has to come over, stand up and plink on the keys, just like this. It's so cute, but not always helpful when I'm teaching. The picture was taken before the rectial. There was no prodding to get her to the piano, it was her idea.



I usually divide my students in half and hold two mini-recitals. This time I reserved the historic tabernacle and had everyone perform in one big recital. It was fantastic! My students did very very well and the acoustics of the tabernacle made them sound even better.
I absolutely enjoyed the recital, for many reasons.
1. Some of my students are becoming quite advanced and perform well.
2. Richard and my parents came for the first time in years. Their presence made me feel so valued.
3. Amber really did great. Hearing piano students her whole life has given her a head start.
4. The many compliments from parents and students after the recital really made me feel all warm and fuzzy.
5. Seeing so many people at the rectial made my piano teaching seem more significant than it usually seems in my own living room every day. I felt a sense of unity and community among the families there.

4 comments:

Kaerlig said...

That is so great Kerri. You are talented and playing the piano is such a valuable skill. I'm plunking away on my piano here and there but should really take lessons again.

jasnbon said...

You are awesome Kerri! I'm sure all of your students loved the recital as well. Cute pictures of your girls playing!

charlesfam said...

Hurray! You work so hard at being the best teacher. I'm glad your recital went so well. You honestly deserve all the warm fuzzies - you've worked hard for them. I wish I could have been there.

Ashton & Co. said...

Amber's dress is so cute- what an angel. Congrats on the successful recital. I think you must do a fantastic job with all your students. I'm glad the night went so well for you!