Saturday, March 19, 2011

The formula konundrum

Spencer has been my first baby to refuse a bottle or formula of anyt kind.  We tried every possible option repeatedly.  When his doctor told me he'd gone from 75th percentile to 20th between visits I admitted that breastfeeding wasn't going very well, & realized weaning was eminent.  The doctor told me they have milk based toddler formulas and even flavor formulas.  I incredulously asked, "Could I give him that?"  I headed to Albertsons & stared blankly at the formulas on the shelf for a long time.  Truly, we have too many options sometimes.  I randomly picked a toddler formula and headed home with it.  Days later, when I finally decided to try giving him some I noticed it was chocolate.  CHOCOLATE baby formula!  And he liked it!  Yea!  A gradual weaning process was begun immediately.  We gave that baby lots of praise for drinking chocolate formula.  My mommy conscience was a little befuddled at the thought of giving my 7 month old chocolate formula, so we began to sneak in a little regular formula.  I felt self conscious giving my baby chocolate formula at church.  We were feeling great that he'd late a bottle of 1/3 chocolate & 2/3 regular formula.  We were running low, so I went to restock.  I searched every store in town. . .no chocolate formula.  I looked on Enfamil's website---discontinued.  By now my stubborn baby was almost completely weened.  Regular formula was rejected 100% every time.  I contemplated adding Nestle Quick to baby formula.  No, couldn't do that.  I called the grocery store to see if they could special order chocolate formula.  Nope.  I considered ordering an $80 case of chocolate formula straight from the manufacturer.  But first, I decided to try vanilla formula.  They changed the label.  It used to indicate it was for children 10 months and older, now it says 36 months & older.  REALLY?  I thought?  I'm going to give me child something labeled for 3 year olds?  Long story made short, Spencer gets several bottles a day, slightly flavored with vanilla formula.  And life is great!  I notice the sun shining.  Oh the freedom of having weaned a baby!  I seriously applaud women who breastfeed & envy those for whom the process works successfully without hitches. 

1 comment:

Marilou said...

I didn't even know the made formula like that! I remember always needing to add strawberry syrup to Ali's milk after she turned 1. I also envy those who can do it without a hitch. Maybe one day...