Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mothers Day

Eight years ago when I was expecting Amber, I had a secret twinge of excitement about being included in Mother's Day. I was quickly deflated when Rich announced he wasn't going to get me anything, not even a card, because I wasn't a mother yet.

I returned home from church that Mothers Day to find a beautiful glider rocker (the very one I'd been hoping for) sitting in our front room. He'd disappointed me, to magnify the surprize effect. That's not a good strategy with me. I feigned gratitude, but, I was wounded. For years I hated mothers day and I had terrible feelings when I looked at that chair. Who was I to think I deserved any special recognition? My feelings were also driven by the guilt I held for holding a grudge so effectively.

Rich hasn't joked about not getting me a gift for mothers day, or any other special occasion, since. In fact, he is so kind, appreciative, courteous, and accommodating on Mother's day now, that I feel like royalty. And, he's teaching our kids. They each gave me multiple homemade cards and mentioned repeatedly that they were going to make it a great day for me by not whining, fighting, etc. Rich even made me a little coupon book for back rubs, un-interrupted naps, & un-interrupted free time. (I thought he'd found it and printed it, but no, he made it himself). There are 8 1-hour coupons for un-interrupted free time. He even says I can redeem them all at once if I'd like. Now that's valuable.

5 comments:

Megan Smith said...

That's funny. I remember growing up my Dad, being the resourceful man that he is, once wrapped a gift up for my mom using towels. He couldn't find the wrapping paper so he found the next best thing. Well my Mom was so offended because it made her feel like she wasn't good enough for real wrapping paper that she held a grudge against him for it. I don't think she can even remember anything else about the occasion. Now my Dad goes to great lengths to have her gifts wrapped beautifully, usually having them wrapped at a store!

These men of ours usually have good intentions, don't they?!

jasnbon said...

Awesome!! It sounds like you had a great day!

charlesfam said...

Wow! I love the coupon book. Enjoy.

Kaerlig said...

On my first Mother's Day (when I was pregnant but had not yet birthed a child) I went out and stole flowers from the neighbors yard. That was all I got. David has learned since then.

It seems that Rich has too :)

KayLynn said...

I have internet again!!! yeah!!! It is so good to catch up. I miss you guys terribly! If you are down this way please drop by!! Those coupons are a great gift! Way to go Rich.