Sunday, May 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Jessica

In the past year Jessica has gone from this
to this
I can hardly believe it. Even Amber admits the year has flown. Our family is so much better because we have Jessica. With her permanent smile & energetic personality, Jessica is a joy to be around. This past year with her has just been fun. I just can't get a handle on how quickly it has flown.
We had a fun filled birthday party with family. She tried to put her new shoes on her own feet, figured out quickly that the new toys were hers, eagerly awaiting the next gift, and promptly tossed the new clothes aside and started looking for the next gift. She even ate her birthday cake with a spoon!
Amber spent hours preparing a treasure hunt. Kate spent hours begging to put the candles in the cake. My other girls have had beautiful little cakes for their first birthdays. Today I heard a chorus of "I don't like frosting on mine," from every member of the family that knows how to talk. I decided to improvise and made a pudding-like frosting. Although it tasted great, it was a flop. As I frosted Jessica's special little cake, the lumpy improvised frosting glopped down the sides. My mommy-mind could envision a sweet Jessica, several years from now looking through her scrapbook wondering why she received a gloppy mess for her first birthday cake, while her sisters received beautiful little masterpieces. So, I unfrosted her little cake, and grabbed my two cans of pre-made frosting out of the food storage stash, and saved the day. I even pulled out the cake decorating tips from the deepest corner of the cupboard to add the beautifying touch.

4 comments:

Megan Smith said...

Yay! Happy Birthday! It's amazing how fast the first year flies by. I think I told you this before, but she shares her birthday with my Devin who just turned 6. It's a good day to have been born!

charlesfam said...

I love your Jessie. She's so sweet and has the cutest smile. Happy birthday little one. I'm glad we were able to share it with you.

Ashton & Co. said...

That year has flown! SHe is such a darling little girl. You are such a great mom to think of the future. Try to downplay the drama before it even happens...smart. You are already thinking like a woman who has 3 teenage daughters! :)

Harley said...

Awe, I can't believe it! Brynn said, "Ohhh, does that mean she's not a baby anymore? I will miss baby Jessica!" She's a little sad that she turned one already. :)