Saturday, September 27, 2008

Recommitting

I finally went to the temple last night. It was only the second time I've been since Jessica was born. As I was getting ready, I experienced pure joy & excitement. I love the temple because of the many times I've received clear inspiration and felt pure love there. The matter on my mind last night was, "How do I teach my kids all that they need to know?" The catalyst was this scripture: D&C 68:25 25 And again, inasmuch as parents have children in Zion, or in any of her stakes which are organized, that teach them not to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ the Son of the living God, and of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of the hands, when eight years old, the sin be upon the heads of the parents. I don't think I'm feeling motivated by guilt, but a pure "I'm willing to do anything for my children" type of love. I want them to suceed at life, the true purpose of life. I know we are here to go through experiences that will allow us to develop a Christ-like character. How can I prepare my children to learn through their life experiences; to allow their tough experiences to build their character rather than embitter them? How can I teach them that life is wonderful and we're meant to be happy? Aha! It's those 3 things we're supposed to do: family home evening, family scripture study, & prayer! So far, Amber & Kate love family night and scripture study. I just need to be more diligent in making it happen. It's ironical to me that those things, which have such eternal significance, continually fall at the end of my daily priority list. My other "Aha" is the importance of parental example. As I learn to be a happy person, my children will mirror that;as they see me live with faith, they'll follow. If they see me cherish the scriptures, they'll some day turn to them to see why I think they're so great. So, the bottom line. . .It's back to regular family scripture study at out house.

2 comments:

Kaerlig said...

Kerri,
Yes! The answers are always simple and we already know them. I really feel the importance of FHE, prayers and scripture study and my own example. When I see my kids acting badly, I can often see myself ... that they mirror me.

I need to go to the temple.

KayLynn said...

For anyone wondering why the sunday school answers are what they are, try it. I am really bad at simply forgetting to do the absolute basics. I need to be reminded many times weekly.