Sunday, September 14, 2008

Our Amber


Rich & I stayed home from church today, sick. It's SOOO boring!! (being sick, I mean, not church). I was grateful for a wonderful Primary President who took over my sharing time last minute. I called my Mom at 8:45 am to let her know we wouldn't be coming for Sunday dinner. I told her Amber was disappointed she wouldn't get to go to church, so my Mom offered to take her. Amber got ready in 10 mintues! I was so proud of her for choosing to go. She told my mom, "I chose the right, didn't I Grandma?" Now, 6 1/2 hours later, we're missing Amber. Grandma took Amber home with her after church. There's nothing like one on one Grandma time. Did I mention my Mom is wonderful? Our day has been spent playing Kate & Jessica tag. "Tag Rich, you're it, I'm taking a nap."

If you ask Amber what her favorite thing is about school, she'd reply "recess." She spends her recesses collecting lady bugs. When recess is over, she tucks them in her backpack to bring home. She brings home about 5 a day. They live in a jar in our kitchen. She's learned to give them fresh leaves and little drops of water. The other day she couldn't locate the ladybugs in her backpack, so she just left it open. We found them. . . on the refrigerator, in the bathroom, on the table, and in Rich's hair. Too bad I threw my house plants out last week. (I really did, I chose not to care for them any longer, or maybe I chose not to neglect them any longer. Same thing either way, right?) All those ladybugs would have been good for them. So can anybody tell me, why is it that if bugs are red they're cute?

Yesterday we made a deal with the girls that I'd take them to kid-heaven, yeah, McDonalds for ice cream when their jobs were done. We arranged to go with some friends, but they couldn't go until 5:30. So, at 10:00 I gave the girls the option to play outside or stay inside and do their jobs. They're smart. They stayed outside all day. Guess what they did? Yeah, they caught ladybugs. Then grasshoppers, then butterflies. Amber was disappointed I wouldn't get her two more jars to keep her new pets in. Grasshoppers in my kitchen? I don't think so.

4 comments:

Kaerlig said...

Kids and bugs. I think it is universal. Last spring my boys were on a snail kick. It was so gross. We had jars of snails and slime. This year it has been butterflies and grasshoppers. A little less gross. Lady bugs are my personal favorite.

KayLynn said...

Ellie caught bugs on saurday. She brought the net to the back door, "look mom I cought the coolest thing. It's a double grasshopper. It treid to hop away, but the top one stayed on." So when they say "the birds and the bees" they really mean the grasshoppers.

No this is not hanging out in my kitchen either!!!!

One Crazy Family said...

Madie would catch bugs all day if I would let her. I agree about the no grasshoppers in the kitchen. Sorry to hear about you getting sick hope everyone is feeling better

Susan said...

hope you are feeling better now. You can check out our family blog too. jedisintraining.blogspot.com