![]() | |
Winter can be brutal around here. Winter recreation is recommended for survival. These photos are from our city's annual Winterfest, held at the park. Events include sleigh rides, snow bowling, digging for buried treasure, a "snowball" throw, sledding, hot chocolate, & a polar plunge (diving into icy water in the middle of winter). It's become one of my kid's favorite traditions. This year we left dad at home to study & Spencer in the warmth of Grandma's house.
I'm wishing I'd brought my camera on our other winter outings. We enjoyed a day of skiing at Kelley Canyon with Amber & Kate. Our day started out rough as the rope tow was not friendly, and the lift to the beginner slopes was down for the day. I was worried we may have killed our kids' interest in downhill skiing when their first really hill was one of the most advanced hills on the mountain. But, we eventually found some beginner slopes & had a great time. At the end of the day I concluded that I can enjoy most activities. Many of the things we do together I do for the sake of my kids, & I enjoy them. But skiing is my favorite. It's the activity we do for me. It's therapy for my soul. Now, if I could just figure out a way to downhill ski for free.
Cross country is a close second & I'd be happy to go cross-country skiing almost any day, especially if I can take my sisters along. We've skied together for years. There's just something magical about the way the snow mutes all sounds, and the exhilaration of one of the world's best workouts. I love the talk time that can take place while cross-country skiing. It's just one more form of girl-therapy.
I enjoy snowmobiling too, mostly because it's an opportunity to spend time with my dad. But, truthfully, there's always a health dose of fear for getting lost, wrecking a borrowed machine, or triggering an avalanche.
Snowshoeing is also on my winter list, but I haven't been for a few years. And of course, winter wouldn't be winter without a sledding outing or two and at least one really cool snow fort. We built the coolest snow fort a few weeks ago when we had a warm spell. That just means the snow gets warm enough to stick. We took the troops outside & built snow walls around the swing set. Spencer got to hang out in Rich's hammock while we worked. After he'd been hanging out for a while we looked over to find him buried in snow, thanks to his littlest big sister. We were all disappointed when dusk settled in too quickly. We were hoping to finish it the next day, but is rained all day & our walls fell down.
And that is my ode to winter recreation.





2 comments:
Cute kids!
I'm glad someone likes winter. I do not and prefer to stay huddled up inside. Although, I have to agree with you about skiing being enjoyable. If only it weren't so cold.
xo -El
I wish I could do some skiing. I don't know what is stopping me- other than the pocket book. I'm a little intimidated by it. Cross country skiing- that's what I'd really like to do. I need a friend to go with and some time off....wishing you didn't live so far.
Post a Comment