Friday, September 18, 2009

Running Crazy!

I've been running crazy for weeks & I just can't slow down. (Really, I think I'm addicted to being busy). I have a compulsion to fill every empty canning jar in my house. With the state of the economy and the nature of being self employed, it seems crazy to store dozens & dozens of empty canning jars. In the past few weeks I've canned green beans, strawberry jam, raspberry jam, blueberry jam, peaches, pears, & salsa; dried peaches & pears; and frozen corn & onions. There's still a crazy lady in my head reminding me that I still have 3 dozen empty canning jars. I'm planning to do beets, potatoes, & applesauce and freeze the carrots from my garden. My sisters are doing the same thing, which leads me to believe that this kind of craziness is normal. You know, most people just buy their food at the grocery store. Oh, you already knew that, didn't you?

The benefit? By 8:30, I'm dog tired, so I've been to bed early almost every night for a week. You may not understand, but this is truely a miracle for me. Rich has been joining me!!! (another miracle) It is so great! He canceled his World of Warcraft account last weekend. I tried not to celebrate too loudly.

The downside, because there's just not time for everything, exercise is becoming a lower priority. Ah, here's my major disappointment of the week. My gym is discontinuing child care & fitness classes as of November 1st. I'm so bummed. Exercise makes me a nice and happy person. My poor poor family.

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

You are wise to get all that food stored away. Food from grocery stores may not always be readily available, but you knew that ;) I have had the itch to can lately, but I am lucky to get the dishes done in a day right now.

Also, I would celebrate, loudly too, if Brett stopped playing Starcraft. I can't complain too much though. He usually only plays once a week.

charlesfam said...

Change can often lead to good results. Hopefully all of the changes surrounding you will have good results, especially the filled canning jars. I'm still hoping to head your way tomorrow, but I have to work a couple of things out (like picking the beans).

Shade256 said...

Add one more crazy sister. I am in the middle of apple sauce, pepper jelly, tomatoes, dried pear-tomatoes with basil from my garden (snack heaven) and dried pears and apples. We have chocolate bells (bell-peppers) this year that are beautiful! The sadness is that the pickles, watermelon and squash all succumbed to mold and died. The boo wet south. Good news is its time to replant beans, peas, spinach and lettuce and broccoli. Yea, warm wet south.

KayLynn said...

I bet your pantry is looking beautiful right now with all those colors. The only thing I really had grow was my tomatoes and some zuccini (which I dry) so my canning hasn't been quite that crazy. I think it is time you go and buy some hot tamalies or M&m's to fill those empty jars :) with no gym time you might need a little pick me up in your food storage.