On Monday, we started an art project. Although the end product turned out great, I quickly became enemy #1, for providing instructions. (NOT super mom!) Okay, the kids were entertained happily for a couple of hours.
Monday night we went to the circus for the first time. The kids really enjoyed it, and I enjoyed watching them enjoy it. I smiled as Kate enthusiastically clapped her heart out and asked me to take pictures. Jessica watched attentively, loved it, and boogied to the music. Amber got to sit and giggle with her friend, Natalie. I felt a surge of gratitude for the privilege of being the mom.The entire event, however was almost a complete failure, because we didn't do this, but our kids' friends did. (NOT super mom!) Failure also loomed overhead when the girls thought they might not be allowed to have cotton candy. (Did you know that cotton candy left on the counter over-night becomes a smattering of colored sugar lumps?) After all the anticipation, the texture was a little too much for Kate to handle in her mouth.
Today, Grandma watched the girls while I taught piano lessons. I, again became enemy #1 by asking Amber to try on her new dress, so Grandma could help me pin it, so I can take it in. (My 7 1/2 year old Amber is still wearing her size 2 capris (now shorts), so I'm trying to learn to modify her clothes to fit. You'd laugh if you knew how many of her pants are retrofitted with safety pins.
After Amber's gymnastics class, Kate wanted to use her own money to buy herself a snow cone (she offered to buy me one too). Of course, I was enemy #1 again when I asked Amber if she'd like to use her own money buy herself one too! (Super Mom's buy everything for their kids). We enjoyed our snow cones at the park (it was too cold), then rode our bikes over to the playground (it was too hot). AND I brought the WRONG bike for Amber! (NOT Supermom!). THEN, I only let them stay at the park for an hour and a half! I'm such a mean mom!
I don't know if there will be a Wednesday field trip tomorrow. Instead I think I'll dust, vacuum, pay bills, sort the mountain of papers, mow the lawn, Round-up the weeds, and spray for ants, while my children spend the day playing in separate rooms.

3 comments:
Oh you CRACK ME UP! What a great post! I'm super mom maybe 2% of the time at my house. Most of the time I miss the "Mary Poppins" fantasies of my kids by a long shot. As a natural people pleaser this has been discouraging to come to accept. Here's how I've come to look at it: it's either they can get used disappointment every once in a while now (usually aimed at me "Mom, it's not fair!") or they can be forever disappointed when they grow up and discover that no one is going to fall at their feet and make sure their happy all the time.
Also, did pioneer children suffer from behavioral problems because of the lack of fun in their lives? Lack of fun is called "life". You're already a super mom because you love your kids and because they know they have a mom who loves them!
If NOT super moms take their kids to the circus, what do supermom's do? And what is about 10 levels down from NOT super mom? That is where I fall. You at least have a plan for fun, my goal is to not let them watch more than 1 movie a day. I fear I may be doomed!
I've got to get organized this summer or else insanity will set in.
I'm thinking we'll have a swim day, friend/cousin day, library day, biking day, and field trip day each week--maybe.
My kids told me the other day that I am boring and daddy is not. Little do they know that if it weren't for me planning all the activities, their daddy would be boring too.
Post a Comment