Wednesday, March 18, 2009

1 Kitty, 1 Princess

Halloween 2007


While I was cutting Amber's fingernails yesterday she announced, "Mom, you don't really have to cut them. Remember, claws?" "What do you mean?," I asked. "Remember I'm a cat." I comically whispered, "Amber, I hate to tell you this, but you're not really a cat." Her face fell. Moments later she asked very seriously, "Mom, why did you say I'm not a real cat?" Slightly dumbfounded at the simplicity of her question I replied, "Because you're not really a cat, you're a girl." "But Mom, I really am a cat. Remember magic? Magic is real." I commented that she was bigger than a cat. She told me magic cats are like that. I assured her that they don't let cat's go to school. She assured me that they do let magic cats to school. Realizing that I wasn't going to convince her otherwise, I changed to conversation and chose to let her enjoy her childhood. I am surprised that the division between pretend and reality is still vague at age 7.

Ironically, today Kate detailed for me the evidence that she is a real princess. She was unaware of my converstaion with Amber last night. Kate explained, she dances like a princess and she wears dresses like a princess. I've suspected for a while that she must be a real princess. She likes her meals served in courses and insists on clean utensils for each course. She must have a napkin. She's very clean, she prefers classical music, and she is easily irritated by the impropriety of other children (somehow that strikes me as a royal trait, though somewhat of a weakness). She even has a very princess sounding name, Kathryn.

3 comments:

charlesfam said...

I love your girls. This post fits them to a T. I hope their pretending worlds last for a long time. It's too boring to be grown up anyways.

jasnbon said...

Your girls are so cute! I love their innocence.

Kaerlig said...

Amber seems so earnest. She really thinks she's a cat! I think it's great.

Kate too.

I believed if I only thought hard enough I'd find the way to Narnia in my closet. I searched every inch for the way in.