Friday, February 20, 2009

You've GOT to be KIDDING!!!

I just finished reading "Someone Named Eva" by Joan M. Wolf. It's great book about a Czech girl who was taken from her home by Nazi's and sent to a Nazi school for girls. It was eye opening, heart wrenching, & fascinating. The night after I finished it I looked at my frail, thin, pale Amber in the bathtub and thought of the Nazi's prisoners. My heart sank. She does not look healthy. She has been sick too long!

Amber woke me up in the night because she didn't feel good. Sure enough, in the morning Amber had a fever AGAIN!!! Rich agreed to watch the girls so I could go work out. I sat in a spin class in a complete fog, praying my heart out that I'd know what to do for her. I felt completely befuddled.

Arriving home, I felt like I simply could not handle another day with sick kids. Jessica has had diarreah all week with the accompanying raw diaper rash, Amber has still not recovered & Kate seemed to be sympathetically sick. I'm going crazy!

At 2:15 the nurse finally returned my phone call. She rechecked the results of the recent labs we did. They were all negative. We decided it would be best to have her weighed today and then keep a food journal for a couple of days before having her rechecked by the doctor. Because really, the flu shouldn't last 5 weeks! My amazing selfless mother agreed to take Amber, since I had piano students arriving soon. Just before they left I decided to check Amber's throat. Yep, she had lesions on her tonsils. The doctor did a strep culture on her while she was there. It tested positive. I've never been so excited about an antibiotic. I suspect she's had strep for weeks, or maybe this is just one more illness to top them off. Kate was complaining of a sore throat when she went to bed. I suspect we'll be filling a prescription for her in the morning.

Sigh

5 comments:

Marilou said...

I'm so sorry Kerri :( Five weeks is a LONG time to care for sick children. Don't worry about Monday, I can find someone else...I'll just catch you when everyone is feeling great (which they will be soon, right?) :)

jasnbon said...

I am so sorry! That is terrible! Not only is it hard on you, but your heart just breaks for your kids! I really hope that you are all 100% soon! Good luck!

Pemblemily said...

Poor Amber...poor Kerri! I hope the antibiotics take care of thing fast.

charlesfam said...

Goodness! Strep, too? Poor Amber has been sick for far too long. We love you and are praying for you and your family.

Ashton & Co. said...

OH my goodness, you deserve a HUGE star for being such a good mom the past 5 weeks. Your poor family. What a "sick" trial you have had to endure! I hope it all comes to an end soon for you. Darn that strep! Let me know if you need anything...