Sunday, January 18, 2009

100 things

I found this list on my friend/mission companion, Kaerlig's website. I thought I'd play along.

1. Started your own blog- Check.
2. Slept under the stars- I have, but I prefer sleeping in a tent. I get cold easily. Rich always wants to leave the fly off the tent, I usually beg him not to.
3. Played in a band- Never. I have no skills.
4. Visited Hawaii- When I was 3. Does that count?
5. Watched a meteor shower-
6. Given more than you can afford to charity- It seems with how tight things are, I do this every month with tithing and fast offerings...but we always pull through.
7. Been to Disneyland- We went with Rich's brother, sister, and their families, plus my in-laws a couple of years ago. I think I enjoyed it the most.
8. Climbed a mountain- Of course.
9. Held a praying mantis-
10. Sang a solo- Does a trio count?
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris- yes, in 1992 with my parents, to pick up my brother from his mission.
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea- That sounds cool/frightening
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch- yes, digital scrapbooking.
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning- numerous times on my mission, I think
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables- Yes, it's a love/hate thing.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France. I wasn't that impressed. Now, the Egyptian tombs. Those were cool.
20. Slept on an overnight train- I've never been on a train but I have "slept" on a bus several times in Bolivia.
21. Had a pillow fight- Who hasn't?
22. Hitch hiked- Never have, never will
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill. I'm honest to a fault.
24. Built a snow fort-
25. Held a lamb-
26. Gone skinny dipping-
27. Run a Marathon- Does a half count?
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse-
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset- I try to see as many as I can.
31. Hit a home run- Me, really?
32. Been on a cruise-
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community. Very cool!
36. Taught yourself a new language- I learned Spanish, though I can't take all the credit.
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied- My mantra is "I have sufficient for my needs."
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing- Love it!
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David-
41. Sung karaoke-
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt- A favorite weekend excursion. I also recommend stopping along the roadside it Yellowstone, pointing and trees, and counting how many cars stop.
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant-
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight- Yes, in Cancun with Rich. What memories.
46. Been transported in an ambulance-
47. Had your portrait painted-
48. Gone deep sea fishing-
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Why so many questions about France?
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling- Snorkeling in Cancun. I really should have become scuba certified before the trip.
52. Kissed in the rain-
53. Played in the mud- At the Dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point, yesterday.
54. Gone to a drive-in theater-
55. Been in a movie-
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class- Not really. But I do a lot of turbo kick-boxing.
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen-
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason- while courting Rich
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma- Once.
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi concentration camp:
67. Bounced a check- 10 years ago. How embarrassing.
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy- I tried to give my kids my favorite dolls & their many accessories at Christmas. Note the word tried. The rejection stung.
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar-
72. Pieced a quilt- Half a quilt. I just gave it away to someone on freecycle.
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone-
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle-
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person- That really should say "been to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. It's a great backpacking trip in February.
80. Published a book
81. Bought a brand new car-
82. Walked in Jerusalem-
83. Had your picture in the newspaper- When I was two.
84. Read the entire Bible- I have to say no. I haven't drudged through the whole Old Testament.
85. Killed and prepared an animal for eating-
86. Had chickenpox- When I was 3
87. Saved someone’s life-
88. Met someone famous-
89. Joined a book club-
90. Lost a loved one- Grandparents, aunts, & uncles
91. Had a baby- Three times.
92. Seen the Alamo in person
93. Swam in the Great Salt Lake- Nasty!
94. Been involved in a law suit
95. Owned a cell phone-
96. Been stung by a bee-
97. Seen Mount Rushmore in person
98. Learned to play an instrument- piano & cello
99. Sat on jury duty
100. Had a pet rat- My roommate did. Shortly after, I got a pet dwarf bunny. It was so cute!

It's a great reminder that I live a blessed and rich life.

3 comments:

Kaerlig said...

I thought I was behind not getting a cell phone until a few months ago :)

I should do that backpacking in February in the Grand Canyon. That sounds really nice.

Megan Smith said...

Cool! I totally want to visit an Amish community. I put this list up on my blog too, I think it's in either the Nov. or Dec. archives.
Fun to learn a little more about you!

charlesfam said...

How fun. You reminded me of many good times.