Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Daily successes

We had our fall piano recital tonight. I think I'm usually more excited to get them over with than most of my students are. It's a lot of work and even more stress to get everyone prepared. After almost 10 years of teaching, I feel like I've developed into a pretty respectable piano teacher. I've learned to have high expectations, but not expect perfection. I've learned that floundering in a music recital can be a valuable life lesson for kids, in preparation. Tonight I was finally able to relax and enjoy my students' recital. I've always felt that the quality of their performances relects on me. Tonight, a couple of pieces were performed perfectly, most were wonderful, and a few were a flop. I don't feel compelled to take blame for the inadequate preparation of some. I've never taught piano lessons for more than 3 years in any one location. I've taught 3 years in Rexburg now. It was really fun to recognize the progress my students have made in the last 3 years.

I came home to a cleared table and 3 children in bed. I love Rich. He's so good to me. I laid down with Kate for a few minutes as she listened to her Nursery CD. It's one of our favorites. We highly recommend it. It's full of pretend stories and movement to music activities. Kate danced around the room and gradually moved the dancing to a laying-in-bed version. Unlike most nights, tonight I enjoyed it.

5 comments:

Kaerlig said...

Great job Kerri.

I really want to take piano lessons again. It is one of my goals. I'm so sad I let that go. I only took lessons for about 4 years. I can't even read music much anymore.

So I am way impressed by those who play and even more impressed by those who teach!

Pemblemily said...

Glad you had such a great recital. I think learning not to "own" your students failures-or successes-is an important part of being an effective teacher.

Marilou said...

Glad it went well! Yay for good husbands :)

charlesfam said...

You amaze you. I love that you teach piano lessons. There's something so special about music that kids don't get anywhere else. I wish we lived closer so you could teach my girls some day.

Megan Burton said...

Glad your recital went well - and that you enjoyed your evening with Kate.
I love reading your blog to see how you're doing!