We're back from our trip to San Diego. We had a great time. I'll post some pictures after I have a moment to sort through them all. Right now, I'm trying to sort through the life, laundry, mail, & schedules.
We arrived in San Diego before noon on Thursday. After finding our rental car, hotel, & lunch we headed to Pacific beach. It was cool & overcast. We played, laughed, jumped in the waves, buried Kate in the sand and turned her into a mermaid, hunted for sea shells, and loved it. There were only a few other people there. I glanced back occasionally at our stuff and noticed the lady sitting on her lawn chair talking on her cell phone; and on the other side, the lady relaxing on her lawn chair next to the stroller. Eventually I noticed that she didn't have a baby in that stroller. In fact, it was just remnants of a stroller. She began layering more clothing as the weather cooled. Eventually I became convinced that she was homeless. I don't usually hand over change to pan-handlers because I don't believe they're all genuine, and I guess it bugs me that they just want handouts. But my heart was moved with compassion for this young woman. I wanted to go over and ask her what she needed, how we could help her. I'm ashamed to admit I didn't. I don't know why; fear? awkwardness? It really made me wonder. Does she have family members who wonder where she is? Surely someone loves her. She's a real person. What is she going through? Why? I felt gratitude for my "perfect" life all the love that surrounds me. I made a mental video of my kids playing in the ocean with their dad. I realized that my kids are so lucky to have two parents who adore them. They have good lives. Some day they'll be teenagers telling me that "it's just not fair." Now I can't find word to express when I went through, but my heart was changed. No life is not fair. Why am I so blessed? As someone so blessed, how do I give back?
5 days ago
4 comments:
I remember having that conflict with all the people in Bolivia that were begging. It was so hard to see them yet I wondered if they were real or if they would use the money for alcohol or drugs. I would randomly give out Bolivianos if I had any to spare. I bought bread for a man and gave it to him only to see him return the bread for alcohol. I don't know what is the best way to give. Sometimes I thought that I shouldn't care how they use my hand out just so long as I was willing to give it.
Kaerlig, I remember very similar experiences in Bolivia. I think the first part of figuring out the best way to help is to let yourself feel the compassion and ask the hard questions like you did, Kerri. It gets too easy sometimes to be cynical and assume the worst of people who want help.
I love you Kerri. What a moving post. It is hard to know what to do in such situations, but I've heard people say to donate to shelters and to programs that help feed the homeless. Thanks for the reminder of just how good we have it. I miss you and wish we were spending the day with you.
Nice post! I'm glad you all were able to get away and spend some time vacationing as a family. Can't wait for tomorrow night! Watch out bows, here we come! :)
Post a Comment